OLD BRIDGE, NJ—Police announced on May 27 they had arrested the man they believe is responsible for fatally attacking a 57-year-old Sayreville man while walking his dog in the Glenwood Apartments.

Earl Allayne, Jr., a 20-year-old resident of Tall Oaks Court in Parlin, has been charged with felony murder, robbery, resisting arrest, eluding, and obstruct administration of the law, according to a spokesperson for the state court system.

Allayne’s charges followed the May 24 attack of Viktor Yashchyshyk, who was on the phone with his girlfriend when he was allegedly ambushed by Allayne at approximately 9 p.m..

According to the criminal complaint provided by the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office (MCPO), Allayne caused the death of Yashchyshyk while engaged in the commission of robbery.

Allayne allegedly attacked Yashchyshyk, striking him in the face with his fist and causing him to fall to the ground, where he hit his head on the pavement.

Yashchyshyk sustained a skull fracture, broken jaw and was missing some teeth, according to the MCPO.

It is believed that, after attacking Yashchyshyk, Allayne attempted to kill the dog by swinging it around by the leash.

However, the dog slid out of its collar and returned home without its owner, according to the press release.

Immediately following the attack, Allayne allegedly went through Yashchyshyk’s pockets and took his iPhone.

Police were notified of the brutal murder when another dog-walker found an unconscious Yashchyshyk a block from his home.

Yashchyshyk was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick in critical condition where, on May 26, two days after the attack, he was pronounced dead at 8:30 a.m.

The following day, Allayne was apprehended after foot pursuit led the Old Bridge Police Department (OBPD) back to the Glenwood Apartments.

Allayne fled from officers and hid in a “utility room on the premises,” according to the MCPO.  However, the court system said that Allayne was “found hiding on patio of 14A Cottonwood Lane.”

The OBPD set up a safe perimeter while residents of the complex were evacuated to a safe area.  Allayne finally surrendered to authorities after about 15 minutes.

An investigation performed by Detective Addie Spinola of the Old Bridge Police Department has been ongoing.

On June 2, a Judge ruled in favor of the MCPO’s motion for pretrial detention, meaning that Allayne will remain behind bars as the case against him moves forward.

The next scheduled court appearance for Allayne is scheduled for July 27 at 9 a.m. at the Middlesex County Superior Court, located at 56 Paterson Street in New Brunswick.

That day, Allayne is set to appear for a “Pre-Indictment Conference” with Judge Alberto Rivas, according to the court spokesperson.

Reporter at New Brunswick Today | mthompson@nb.today