NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ—The Middlesex County Prosecutor’s office revealed that the cause of death of 19-year-old Rutgers University sophomore Caitlyn Kovacs was accidental “acute ethanol toxicity,” better known as alcohol poisoning.

According to those who were with her, Kovacs had attended a late-night gathering on September 21 at the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house on College Avenue when, after an unspecified number of drinks, she was talking to a friend and suddenly she was no longer making sense.

Kovacs then passed out and was taken by her friends to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival shortly after 3am.

Kovacs was raised in South Brunswick, where her family still lives, and had come to New Brunswick to study Animal Science at the Rutgers Unvierstiy School of Environmental and Biological Sciences.

Kovacs, who worked as a pet sitter at Princeton based Beg ‘n Bark, was remembered as a “very nice girl” who loved animals.

A memorial was held for Kovacs at Rutgers University’s Busch Campus Center on October 11.

The memorial was originally planned for Livingston Campus, but the location would have be too small to fit the large amount of people who were expected to arrive.

The prosecutor called the investigation “active and continuing” and urges anyone with information to come forward.

Anyone with information is asked to call Lt. Paul Fischer of the Rutgers University Police Department at (848) 932-8025, Detective Ken Abode of the New Brunswick Police Department at (732) 745-5217, or Detective Jeffrey Temple of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at (732) 745-3373.