No One Injured as Vacant Baldwin Street Home Destroyed By Fire

NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ—A fire engulfed a vacant home located at 132 Baldwin Street, near the intersection with Remsen Avenue, on Saturday November 9.

Dozens crowded near the fire, watching several fire departments battle the blaze.  While the fire had died down a bit by 10:50 pm, the embers were still heavily smoldering.

According to the New Brunswick Fire Department's radio transmissions, firefighters searched the house for people during the fire, and had completed the basement, along with the first and second floors and part of the third, before the flames forced them to retreat. 

According to a report on, one person was in the abandoned home when the fire started.  The staff of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital treated the survivor for smoke inhalation.

In a separate incident, a steam leak triggered a fire alarm in the basement of Old Queens, one of Rutgers University's oldest buildings, resulting in a response from the New Brunswick, Sayreville, and North Brunswick departments. Firefighting services were reportedly stretched thin due to the two events coinciding.

Despite closing several roads to fight the blaze, which spewed smoke throughout the city, government officials declined to use the Nixle emergency alert system.  Inquiries from New Brunswick Today on why the system was not utilized were not answered.

The City Council is expected to improve a $3,158 expenditure to board up and secure the property at their meeting this Wednesday.