NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ – The Newark Star-Ledger reported that over 70 people protested in cold weather against the latest accusations of police brutality against the New Brunswick Police Department.
Another protest held later in the week drew fifteen people during inclement weather. The next protest is scheduled for Wednesday at 4:30pm, at the site where police shot Victor Rodriguez, a 19-year-old who may now be paralyzed. His family said he had previously fired shots from a starter’s pistol to scare away two unknown assailants.
They also said the officers failed to identify themselves as police and shot Rodriguez five times, including once after he had fallen to the ground.
Protestors are expected to attend the City Council meeting en masse, following the protest. The meeting begins at 6:30pm on Wednesday February 15.
Charlie is the founder and editor of New Brunswick Today, and the winner of the Awbrey Award for Community-Oriented Local Journalism. He is a proud Rutgers University journalism graduate, a community organizer, and a former independent candidate for mayor of New Brunswick.