Share |

Questions Surround Sudden Departure of Prosecutor Who Presented Deloatch Case

Sources Say There May be a Criminal Investigation into Nicholas Sewitch, Who Left the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office After 28 Years on July 1
Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office
Bruce Kaplan's office has already accepted Nicholas Sewitch's resignation, but several sources say Sewitch will face charges. Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office

NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ—Multiple sources have alleged that the number three man in the county prosecutor's office did not retire on his own terms.

In fact, two sources are saying that there is a criminal investigation into Nicholas Sewtich, the recently retired deputy 1st assistant prosecutor.

Sewitch, a 28-year veteran of the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office oversaw all homicide cases until his abrupt departure earlier this month.

"We don't confirm or deny the existence of any investigations," said Jim O'Neill, spokesman for the prosecutor's office.

One source said that, after Sewitch was dismissed, his co-workers were instructed not to have any contact with him.

"I never heard that...  I'm not aware of any such decree or order coming from this office," O'Neill said.

Earlier this year, Sewitch presented the case of Barry Deloatch's shooting death to a grand jury.  The shooter, New Brunswick police officer Brad Berdel, was not indicted by the grand jury after Sewitch's presentment.

Sewitch's boss, Bruce Kaplan, accepted his resignation effective July 1.  A fellow assistant prosecutor stood in for Sewitch at a June 28 hearing in anticipation of the "retirement," according to the Home News Tribune's Bob Makin.

The article said that both Sewitch and the prosecutor's office did not return calls inquiring about his departure.

Sewitch made $145,328 in 2011 and joined the prosecutor's office in 1984.

He is also listed as an adjunct professor in the criminal justice department at Brookdale Community College in Monmouth County.